RE: [microsound] Labels go after individual song-swappers

Perhaps there is another way. Is anyone familiar with MACOS ( http://www.icomm.ca/macos/ ) for example? It began as an attempt at establishing a non-RIAA approach to sampling, and if I have my history in order it had Herr Atom Heart somewhere near its origins. Perhaps in the P2P era labels and musicians can extend such an approach with the sort of license I notice associated with shareware and freeware: the user is free to copy and distribute the data only with reference to the original source and without profit etc. Related to this discussion is an article I read recently in the Guardian refering to a book on intellectual property protection; the book pointed to an period in Swiss history during which no such protection was available yet in which enormous growth in the introduction of revolutionary new inventions was seen, the writer's hypothesis being that intellectual property protection enshrines stagnant mediocrity and stunts rather than encourages creative activity. My own feeling is that RIAA is fighting a war on too many fronts and cannot, as it were, survive the Russian winter. A few ruminations while listening to Random Hold...
--
Joshua Maremont / Thermal - mailto:thermal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Boxman Studies Label - http://www.boxmanstudies.com/