Re: [microsound] "Expanded Cinema"

similarly, scott bartlett (whose "serpent" will show at the performance i
posted about) seems to have time-travelled to the present, absorbed
Nato + AfterEffects + Flash, jumped back to his own era + used a 16mm
optical printer to create films that put all the digital crap to shame...

I wonder if it's relevant that some early experimental film pioneers (John Whitney, Jordan Belson and Oskar Fischinger come to mind) were doing commercial special effects work and working full-time on developing new technical processes. Maybe a comparison should be made with people working at a place like Pixar rather than people "vj-ing" in their spare time. Are any of the current cgi whizzes creating anything interesting outside of the office?

In regards to the "simpler means - better ends" sentiment I think there's probably a parallel in every field that's been touched by digital tools. Think of brilliant graphic design and darkroom trickery before the advent of photoshop. Or from a musical angle I'm reminded of Bob Ostertag's "Why Computer Music Sucks" article http://www.l-m-c.org.uk/texts/ostertag.html