Re: [microsound] pop vs art music

Given that lots of pop-artists in this era were using their mistresses or
preferred whores as their models for the Virgin Mary, I'm guessing there was
MUCH more "action" in mind than "thought".

> imagine the busy sculptor creating religious icons or statuary in
> pre-renaissance Europe. crankin out the "virgin mary" series. We put that
> stuff in museums and call it Art. How much thought was involved? Some
> Cardinal tells him to make statues of the virgin mary. "OK, boss".

> Perhaps an oversimplification. What about furniture?  Crafts. We iconize
> certain examples as art, and commit them to institutions. Do they tend
more
> to action or thought?

Good point -- William Morris comes to mind, who made "functional art",
chairs, wallpaper, and the like.

All in all, I'm with you, David: the pop=action and art=thought seems an
overly simplistic binary. If art tends so much toward thought, then how does
any of it ever get made?

-=Trace