Re: [microsound] pop

no, that sounds completely deadly wrong unless your only contact with "pop" is britney spears.

there are many artists who claim to produce "pop" that have no corporate/media connections/backing and does not want it. they may be dead serious or doing it for other reasons. i might be old and grey but i like to listen to much of it.

i think i'm gonna do a remix/cutup between some of the lifeless xenakis music (i still have some records i bought in the 70s) mixing it with some of ms. spears songs. then you can all sue me and we could rrreally be having some fun ;=)

and why even bother with these strange manufactured definitions? insecurity?

here is a definition of pop I wrote to a friend of mine...it is not a
completely air-tight definition but was more of a thinking through of
certain issues I have been dealing with in my writing of late...

pop culture is a realm of media where large corporations spend gobs of
money to create demand for content, a personailty, or an aura that the
lowest common denominator can comprehend, desire and consume...this is
based on desire or wanting to attach some personal/emotional value to said
artist/content...but again, this desire is manufactured by a network of
media nodes...
the art world does not rely on this as much as pop media...hence pop
 >culture often does not include the subset of the art world...there are
 >artists such as Andy Warhol and Keith Haring who have crossed over into
pop media but more often than not art and pop tend to belong to separate
camps, each one operating by different codes, values and rules...
the better way to see pop culture is not as something that becomes popular
but when the populus embraces a cultural artifact...pop has come to imply
'populus,' not 'popular' and  has come to replace the phrase 'folk' in
most repsects...

this is based on the ideas of the resonance model of pop culture as outlined in the "Responsive Chord" by Tony Schwartz as well as Attali...