Re: [microsound] [OT][tech talk]linux.audio

dave,

i'm no expert [in fact, after struggling all night to install drivers for my
RME Hammerfall sound card, i feel much the opposite...], but i would say go for
it! Red Hat is quite simple to load, even simpler if you aren't trying to make
a dual partition and keep the Windows around, and PD runs very light, so you
can maximize your real-time play-power.

my first impressions on the setup would be:

4.5gb uw scsi : system drive. when the installer prompts, make a primary [ / ]
partition and remember to make a second [ swap ] partition of 256 Mb [ = 2 x
RAM]. skip out on installing all the games and office crap, but DO install all
the developers tools, as you will need them to compile applications later on.
also, this drive should hold all your sound processing apps.

2 x 9 gb uw scsi : one to store samples to read from, and one to record to,
maybe? seems like a nice division of labor...

> and i can afford to put in a £50 (second hand) soundcard... ala sblive or
> budget delta series card....etc

SBLive cards should be supported as Plug and Play by Red Hat. not sure about
the Delta cards, but i'm pretty sure they are built into the kernel as modules,
which should make it easier to get it up and running.

speaking of which, do seek out the ALSA drivers and tools, as they can
significantly lower your latency. [this, however, is the point that i am a
little stuck on myself with the RME...rebuilding the *&#@%! kernel makes my
head a little dizzy...]

the softwares that Michal recommends below are all quite good, although Ardour
appears a bit daunting. check out http://linux-sound.org/ for more info.

and good luck,
derek