Re: [microsound] good flavor means good taste!

isnt tech talk an important part of this list anyway?????

why are u bored?

regarding kim's message:

i definetly aggree on the fact that a "good" tool is the
one that could offer more possibilities for creation in an
efficient way. the feeling of being limited by the tools is
a very annoying one.. having a very good tool, and knowing
how to work with it, is key in making "good" work....

claudio.
> I didn't get it.
> On what end of the horse are you on??
> Are not instruments only a mean to reach an artistic end??
> There is in my mind a very clear hierarchy on that;
music comes first ,
> instruments second.  Obviosly a good reliable instrument
can be a great help
> to create good music , but instruments and the ability to
play them should
> always be servicing a solid idea  to produce good music,
don't you agree?

> I myself am bored to tears by the tech talk that every
once in a while takes
> over this list.
>

> Beni

not necessarily make
> > good music...while on the surface these two arguments
might seem similar
> > they are different:
> >
> > - the first conjecture supposes that a piece of music
already judged to be
> > "good" (by some agreed upon criteria) was not
necessarily made with "good"
> > (also by some agreed upon criteria) software...
> >
> > - the second supposes that a software tool already
deemed "good" will not
> > necessarily yield a "good" piece of music...
> >
> > two ends of the same horse but a different smell
altogether...

> > so the task seems to me to examine more closely what
determines "good" in
> > music as well as what determines "good" in
software...not to arbitrarily
> > create links between the two, but after careful
consideration to see if
> any
> > correlation exists...this search for a correlation
might reveal other
> > factors involved in the process of creation that have
more to do with the
> > quality of the creators ability to select the "proper"
tools that play an
> > active role in the organization of musical elements
that achieve an
> > appearance of "good"...
> >
> > while on a train ride from Stuttgart to Amsterdam I
chatted with a
> > professional violinist in an orchestra who informed me
that her violin
> cost
> > around 20,000 euro...when I asked her if there was a
big difference
> between
> > a 20000 euro instrument and a 3000 euro instrument she
indicated that a
> > orchestral musician was not (tacitly) "allowed" to play
a cheap instrument
> > in a professional orchestra...her profession demanded
good tools in order
> > play that type of music (classical) in that
sociopolitical/cultural
> > context...
> >
> > so while not all music is created the same way (i.e.,
using "good"
> software)
> > there is something to be said for using a tool that
performs tasks
> reliably
> > while offering a wide range of creative possibilities
that is not limited
> by
> > the tool itself but only by the imagination of the
user...there are so
> many
> > software tools now available that fit this
criteria...as Gregory pointed
> > out: one only has to find the one that suits them
best...

help@xxxxxxxxxxxxx