Re: [microsound] good instruments vs good music

I think what's missing in this discussion is the distinction between broad
categories of instruments (the sackbut is no good!) and specific makes and
models of instrument (John Smith makes a sub-par sackbut).  The former is of
course ridiculous.  You can't say that a violin is better than a piano.  The
latter is more easily arguable and ties into the comment someone made about
"Edsel" instruments.  I would say that there ARE specific models of
instruments that are universally maligned for bad sound, shoddy construction
or other obvious problems.  I can't think of any examples off the top of my
head but go browse any instrument-specific newsgroup and you'll quickly
figure out what the "Edsel" of that community is.

ben nevile <bbn@xxxxxxxx> said regarding "good sound"
>okay.  in the age of computers this is easy, you can make your instrument
>sound like whatever you can imagine and program.

Oh sure, it's always been easy.  Just make your instrument sound like
whatever you can imagine and build with physical materials.  What's that you
say?  There are limitations to wood and wire?  Whew, good thing computers
have no limitations.