Re: [microsound] 1D

-- On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, ben nevile (bbn@xxxxxxxx) wrote:

> sorry to drag this out further.
>
> > both the spectacle of performance and physical skill-sets-> labor
> > embedded  in a product produced in exchange for money,
> > need to de-coupled for the audience in order for music to
> > progress...some
> > musicians have seen the light but pop enculturated audiences are slow
> > adapt since they want their MTV...
>
> I understand what you're saying and would be willing to accept your
> thinking if your statements were less sweeping.  Kim, I respect your
> opinion, so I have to confirm what I think you just said: do you really
> believe that this is the ONLY way for "music" - all music, I can only
> assume - "to progress"?   that there's no more room for progress in
> music created by a physical means?
>
> bbn

A small question.  What do you mean by progress?  I am taking the opposite hand
here but perhaps there is no need for music to progress.  It is not a science.
Moecular biology progresses,  the building of a skyscraper progresses.  These
things have beginnings and endings, definite rules.  Music is more like a
conversation.  It progresses in the instance but every conversation is
different.  There are no blueprints for a good conversation, the only way to
judge it is by our own personal experience of it.  The topic of conversation or
the tools and skill with which audio is created are almost irrelevant.  I don't
particularly respect musicians who require their audience to have some sort of
academic knowledge of the process they are listening to.  That kind of
knowledge can certainly enhance an experience but the music is hollow if that
is all there is to it.  What if computer programmers went around making
incredibly intricate programs that did absolutely nothing and expected people
to respect them for it.  If you are going to do something like that you must do
it for the shear joy of it because no hot babes are going to come up to you and
say "that was really cool that you sampled cells dividing and then modulated it
with recordings of static from outer space, I didn't mind that it was 20
minutes of static."
People seem to get hung up on a process rather than an experience when it comes
to art.  The most common question people of this mind ask when confronted with
something like abstract/performance art or experimental music is "What's the
point?"  What's the point?  Don't you hear it? smell it? see it? feel it?
That's the point.  In the end I don't believe it matters how you make the sound
but how you hear it.

Sorry for the excessive rant but, well heck I'm not sorry.  It felt good.

play

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag