Re: [microsound] 1D

Elisha wrote:

>A small question.  What do you mean by progress?  I am taking the opposite hand
>here but perhaps there is no need for music to progress.  It is not a science.
>Moecular biology progresses,  the building of a skyscraper progresses.

Science is not the only thing that progresses.  Science doesn't always
progress.  Often it just spins its wheels.  Music progresses when it
comes up with something new, some new paradigms, some new concepts and
ideas.  Bebop was a progression over swing in jazz.  Free jazz was a
progression over cool.  Jazz has never progressed beyond free jazz.
 That's why jazz is dead.  Oh you can still hear some great free jazz
these days, but it isn't all that different from what you heard in Paris
in 1969 on BYG.  And there was a lot more urgency then because it was
new.  You can also hear some fine bop quartets here and there.  They
play nice stuff, completely within an idiom.  It's nothing new.   On the
other hand, electronic music is still an area where you can find new
things.  It's still a ripe area for exploration primarily because of all
the new concepts, like in the performative, etc.  Go to almost any time
in musical history and you can see the importance, necessity and
motivation of progression, from the classics to the present.  As usual,
any new progression requires a new set of ears.  We don't have them yet
about much electronic music.