Re: [microsound] physical filter

> Well of course it has a physical relationship.  And I don't recall Kim
> saying anything about the laptop "removing" the physical interface--but
> rather offering more immediacy.

Does it tho'? I think it is easy for us, as seasoned computer users to think
that
a laptop offers more immediacy. I know loads of people whole would find
picking up a guitar
or piano to make music a thousand times more immediate than a computer.
I know we arent talking about just motor skills, there is often a huge
conceptual barrier that people
have to deal with (the whole WIMP system e.t.c.) I still find drawing what i
want with a mouse difficult,
but i have no problem hitting a drum to make a sound i want.

We are agreeing here on most of these issues, and i wasn't trying to
contradict any of Kims original thoughts.
They just led me along this train of thought (even if it does spin off at a
tangent)
.... I remember reviewing an exhibition in London of newmedia/web design
and what infuriated me most was the constant assertion by the wall panels
and catalogue that somehow
technology was liberating and easily accessible to all. Needless to say
almost all the peices were done and shown
on expensive apple machines with expensive software.
Laptop audio and visual art is still the preserve of the reasonably well
off, and to many people a computer
is both a physical and a conceptual barrier to creation. ... anyway i better
slow down here or i'll get into a full on rant.

> This is very much Kim's point, as I understand it, as represented in his
> order words, "the tool is the message."

yes... often the culture of the tool is the message too..

Tom