memory and melody

--0-1089846227-1037407303=:37598

hi all.

i was thinking about music and memory. more specifically, why its easier for most of us to remember melody rather than other elements like timbre, tone, rhythm (although this one is debatable), etc.

the first thing that comes to mind of course is how we encode information. for instance, the average number of things (numbers, words, etc) one can memorize in one string is about seven. anything more than that, and we're in trouble. my musical language is pretty weak, but i suspect its something to do with the arrangement of a melodic part. thats why most of the 'memorable' music has been pop or classically oriented.

but it seems like there should be more to it than that though. not just how the melody is arranged but the characteristics of the melody as well. that brings another question to mind: are we predisposed to process melody over those other elements? kind of like being born with the capacity for language that is eventually nurtured into complex speech through interactions with parents (and exposure to language in general). or is this a totally learned mechanism? for instance, if you were able to raise a child with no exposure to melody but instead played it abstract compositions (such as some of the music we discuss here), would it be able to remember elements of abstraction better than melody?

take a piece of music like vladislav delay's "anima" for instance. beautiful work, but i have a hard time retaining it's specific structures in my head. i can remember certain sounds, tones, etc but i wouldnt be able to reproduce it for anyone unless i actually played it. however, take his luomo project, and its a different story. i can hum certain parts because ive managed to retain certain melodic elements.

maybe someone into psychoacoustics can shed some light on this.

v'