Re: [microsound] memory and melody

--0-2086489063-1037437708=:66645

hi,
i have a simular situation over here with a friend of mine who had a few
years of classical music
training as a child. Aldo he's the only person in my naberhood who can enjoy
a certain level of microsound/experimental/nonmelodic stuff the majority of
it just doesn't sounds like music,
isn't finnished or has something missing. mostley it just sounds like a
bunch of noise or people
who cant play/compose music.

>>i was trying to temper my reactions to those people, but i guess i shouldnt. im sure many of you have heard one criticism after another, what is this noise, its not music bla bla blah. personally, i like both spectrums, both pop oriented and more abstract tones and colors. they serve different purposes. its like comparing a twombly painting with a degas. its both art, similar materials used to very different results. i dont find one inherently superior over another.

for instance, what would people make of francisco lopez or bernhard guenter? or merzbow for that matter. sure, he's a critical favorite but in the patheon of modern, mainstream music, people would flee far away. the crossover between the abstract v. traditional groups are mostly one way. i enjoy both. someone who has grown up and continues to enjoy contemporary mainstream stuff would not be inclined to immerse him or herself in microsound for instance.

people bring straightforward conventions to abstract music and thats like fitting a square peg into a round hole. i dont think there's any reason why we cant assess the music on merits relative to its structure (e.g. pop v. abstract). but i feel im preaching to the converted. this is more of a struggle with people i meet or friends who are deadset with whatever they've committed to. rock for instance. you've put that much energy into something, its hard to reinvest it in a totally new form of expression. ive managed to have a few friends open up a bit and at least listen to some of the abstract stuff, and they liked some of it.

but what would a rocker say if he/she heard cyclo.? i know thats pejorative and obvious, but thats my point.

v'