A remark about the list

Hello!
I would love to see what everybody else think about people that just use
this list as an advertisement board? I mean, I do enjoy reading the
discussions, they are very informative for someone like me that is ONLY AN
AUDIENCE MEMBER. (I do not practice every interesting music that I enjoy as
most of the people here seems to do.) Ok, I only get the digest version, and
man, Seeing Twine ads and a little footnote (discography, concert dates,
girlfriend blurbs etc.) under most people's e-mail is really distracting and
a little funny. It seems like this is a growing activity among the
underground. Why would someone do such a thing while in the same time
criticizing the mass media noise? Would you feel comfortable if you were on
a car-racing list and people would just post pictures of their own cars and
rant about their rave machines and tell you dates of when they will drive
through your town? I just want to overhear discussions about intellectual
ideas about music and sound, and actually this list does it really well only
if you could filter out where the new up-coming ARTIST is playing next week
and what url to go to to check out his mp3s.

It seems like the appreciation-refuse relationship is changing in our times,
you do not need any fans to be famous, you do not need to be a appreciated
musician in order to perform, you do need to get your demo to record labels
in order to get it released. You could be famous by believing firmly that
you are respectable, you could record every single button push and release
it on your own, you could create your own covers by following the trends.
You DO NOT NEED TO APPRECIATED ANYMORE!
This could be te result of the croni-DIY era, huh? You buy a cd, you like
the music, you get on the internet, you look at concert pictures, gear lists
etc. to figure out what gear musicians use, then, you go down to guitar
center, or go online again and let your credit card do the rest. After you
have all the gear, you go through the manuals and figure out how to get your
INSTRUMENT to bearly work and try to imitate the sounds you have heard on
the cd. After you record your COMPOSITIONS and naming them ACCORDINGLY,
depending on the length of music you could come up with, you go online again
to order 100 3" cdrs or 100 normal cdrs and burn them home without the
labels and most likely put them in a clear see-through MINIMALIST cover.
Then go online again, buy a url and server space and name it
www.awordfromajohncagebook.com or www.thisworddoesexistinthedictionary.com
and then sell your cd online. Also make sure you emphasize the limited
editionness of your cd to make people believe that there is some other kind
of superior value to your cd than the music it contains. Then, post your cd
and url on a mailing list so you can get a crowd and also start thinking how
cool you are going to be on stage with your new gear making music that most
AUDIENCE members will not understand unless they are interested in your
gear.

I am sure this post of mine could piss some people off, but that is ok as
long as they explain to me why I am wrong. I also wanted to say to those who
spoiled my ears with their genius music over the years, Thank you very much
for your geniuneness and shining the light through so much crap that the
digitalist post-modern times brought to my life.

special note for Twine: I am sorry I used your name, but I chose you as the
poster-child because, I have heard you perform live here in Boulder at BMOCA
and I did not think you were as accomplished as you believe and want to make
believe that you are. I remember you wrote something on somewhere on the
internet saying you could spit out a merzbow track in half an hour.  I could
easily say the same thing about your music actually, it is very on the
surface and does not strike any kind of emotions or feelings about life nor
music and sound itself. (from what I have heard so-far that is) it is not
the time that counts in order to make as genuine a music as Merzbow does. I
am sure before you even now what a microphone or a filter was, Merzbow was
investigating the hidden depths of sound,noise and music. Although, I would
also like to say that I liked your work with Mark Amerika on Filmtext. I
thought your project with Mark in Japan was very interesting from what I
heard from him and john Vega.

Goodbye.