Re: lack of archival information

kim + the gang,

i am amazed that a list with this many members, this much traffic, and
[occaisionally] this kind of discussion should just disappear into the ether
myself! when i first joined, i also was asking about an archive. now, many
moons later, the topic arises again....

so, my suggestions.....[free + open source, of course]::::::::

Mailman makes a great list admin, with searchable archives etc. many "new
media" mailing lists, which require the ability to archive and be searchable
due to the simple fact that many list members consider it their main publishing
outlet, run on this problem-free. it is freeware, fairly simple to install, and
would then only require the subscriber list to be migrated there, either
manually or by resubscribing....:

"Mailman is software to help manage email discussion lists, much like Majordomo
and Smartmail. Unlike most similar products, Mailman gives each mailing list a
web page, and allows users to subscribe, unsubscribe, etc. over the web. Even
the list manager can administer his or her list entirely from the web. Mailman
also integrates most things people want to do with mailing lists, including
archiving, mail-to-news gateways, integrated bounce handling, spam prevention,
email-based admin commands, direct SMTP delivery (with fast bulk mailing),
support for virtual domains, and more.

Mailman runs on most Un*x-like systems, is compatible with most web servers and
browsers, and most SMTP servers. Mailman requires Python version 1.5 or newer.
Python is a free object-oriented scripting language. A few files are written in
C for security purposes."

http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman.html

minordomo is also interesting:

"rolux minordomo is an open source web-based mailing list management system
intended to be an alternative to applications like majordomo or egroups

though we acknowledge that majordomo may be a more profound piece of software
we consider minordomo much easier to set up (no installation or configuration)
much more comfortable to use (complete list management via web interface)
and featuring a much wider range of options (like archives, statistics etc)

though we acknowledge that egroups may be a better marketed piece of software
we consider minordomo much more pleasant to use (no advertisements)
much easier to improve (open source project with bug-tracking system)
and featuring a much wider range of options (like filters, log files etc)"

http://minordomo.org/index.php

for maintaining a FAQ collectively, Wiki/Twiki could be an option. the biggest
attraction is that a moderator is not required, as any user can contribute
content. [of course, some kind of SuperUser can come in later and clean up any
messes...] wiki and twiki are comonly used by the open source software
development community to share information related to coding projects and such,
so you can see where this model is very useful.

"Wiki: The simplest online database that could possibly work.

Wiki is a piece of server software that allows users to freely create and edit
Web page content using any Web browser. Wiki supports hyperlinks and has a
simple text syntax for creating new pages and crosslinks between internal pages
on the fly."

http://wiki.org/

"What is TWiki?
Welcome to TWiki, a flexible, powerful, and easy to use Web-based collaboration
platform. Use TWiki to run a project development space, a document management
system, a knowledge base, or any other groupware tool, on an intranet or on the
internet. Web content can be created collaboratively by using just a browser.
Developers can create new web applications based on a Plugin API.

What does it look like?
TWiki looks and feels like a normal Intranet or Internet web site. However it
also has a Edit link at the bottom of every topic (web page), everybody can
change a topic or add content by just using a browser."

http://www.twiki.org/

cheers,

d.