Re: [microsound] Tape recorder techniques

Hi Bill
We do intend to keep it analogue and natural
if possible so that shouldnt keep us from
trying the cassette-option. What are you off
to record tomorrow?

-Kasper

> Hi,
>
>   I don't know if you really intend to
keep it all analogue. One thing to
> keep in mind is that the reverb doesn't
always have to be'hi-fi' to be
> effective. It's possible to record
something , make a dub( cassette or CDr )
> put that in a boombox which you transport
to a church , conduit or something
> else with effective natural reverb . You
then blast the recording and record
> with a minidisc , microcassette etc . and
sync up later.Sometimes if the
> reverb's really awful it helps to
accentuate the clarity of the original
> sound.
>
>   I'm thinking of doing that tommorrow
actually( - the boombox) , if I can
> ever find my microcassette recorder. I
could keep everybody posted I
> suppose: 'now I've found the recorder ,
now I'm putting in a fresh
> microcassette, now I'm putting on my
socks , now I forgot what I'm thinking
> about , now I'm thinking about 'whats her
name''

>   -hope this was more help than additional
fluff'

>                             Bill
>

> on 12/20/02 9:48 AM, syntheticwaste@pale-
dawn.dk at
> syntheticwaste@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > I have some questions about the different
> > techniques in manipulation of the
magnetic
> > tape. Me and a friend is currently
working
> > with splicing and cutting tape. We
utilize
> > these ways of manipulating; change of
speed,
> > direction, and delay. Here in his
studio, we
> > have only one tape recorder right now, an
> > old 2 track. However, I am aware of
effects,
> > like reverb, made by the use of tape
loops
> > only. I would like to ask how this is
done,
> > and also how many tape recorders would be
> > the minimum for this and similar effects
> > that is possible with the use of tape.
> > The only sound sources for this piece we
are
> > planning and setting up for recording, is
> > the sound of 7 glasses with different
> > amounts of water, resonanting, and then
we
> > put the glasses on a hard surface; the
> > surface is connected with two contact
mics,
> > one for each channel -left and right.
What
> > type of surface would be best fitted for
> > this? We are thinking of a thick glass
> > surface... Any help and/or comments on
all
> > of this will be highly appreciated.