Re: Brain Can Generate Unexplained Noise In Ears

> This has nothing to do with the content of that articl really, but I wonder
> if any of you (who has tinnitus) has noticed better hearing , as in more
> sensitive, after you got tinnitus? I do, or at least I think I do. Some
> frequencies tend to sound more focused compared to others (this way of
> thinking may be as stupid as telling a colour blind person to describe the
> colour red...) and I'm more sensitive to high frequencies than others seem
> to be.

Yes, in my case it come from many years of percussive activity. As a result
I have a very hi pitched ring that is with me continually. At the onset,
this sound was very disturbing and life and perception changing event, as
was the notion of never being able to "hear" silence again. At that time the
sound of a commercial jetliner flying overhead sounded to me like an
enormous sheet being torn, like the sound of a jet plane playing through a
distorting speaker. Hammering a nail into a piece of wood was impossible to
do without hearing protection. I was even sensitive to the loud clapping of
hands. Thankfully things have gotten better since then, though every night,
when I am going to bed, I am reminded of just how loud this tinnitus is.

Yesterday, I went hiking with my family and found that I was very sensitive
to things moving in the bushes. I heard something moving to my right, looked
and saw a snake making its way. No one else really heard it, of course they
were further behind me, but it occurred to me then that maybe I hear certain
things more acutely in particular frequency ranges, primarily upper mids.
Interestingly, I also find myself more attracted to sounds that are outside
of this range, possibly in a compensatory response.

Very serendipitous timing on this thread,
Chris