Re: [microsound] "Academic" computer music?

>At 10:32 AM -0800 3/8/03, ph!L @ c e n t i b e l wrote:
>>the word academic is not very useful. Sometimes it's not even
>>accurate... "Serious" music is horrible. "Concert" music is worse,
>>because it's not accurate. "New music" or "contemporary music"
>>might be better, but is also so vague

Each of these words refer to different things.... "academic" in my
opinion is good to refer to music taught in schools... even if not
akademic (i'm starting to teach about "minimal techno" or "drone
ambient", that happens starting to be akademy) and there may be funny
"serious" music (the maxwell davies' "8 songs for a mad king" for
exemple and some ligeti too) or ambient "concert" music
(stockhausen's "fresco")...  "new music" happens to be sometimes very
old and can last 50 years music be addressed as "contemporary"?

and what about "cultured" music? the problem is that when you start
to label something, it means it's starting to be akademic....

massimiliano