Re: [microsound] [ann] mathieu, ehlers: h e r o i n, a re-release with additional material

on 3/10/03 3:35 PM, stephan mathieu at sssst@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>=20
> orthlorng musork will re-release h e r o i n, my cooperation with ekkehar=
> ehlers from 2000/01 on double-digipak CD / double gatefold vinyl in march
> 2003.

> h e r o i n  is re-mastered (vintage abbey road style) and re-packaged. y=
ou'll
> find more information and mp3s at http://www.musork.com/orth12 . our info=
sheet
> can be found at http://www.bitsteam.de/h.pdf

 I think it's a bit much people comparing themselves to The Beatles who
can't 'sing' yet alone 'write' a coherent sentence in english...and that
goes for the 'guy' who grew up on a horse in South Texas.

 Great picture , though! The guy on the left looks like he should be in Tot=
and the guy on the right , well I 'm not sure. If I was starting a band the=
look almost cool enough I'd ask them to join.

on 5/10/03 10:10 PM, j.frede at jfrede@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>=20
>i just got a copy of this 2disc set and i suggest everyone pick it up, the
>album as a whole is amazingly dynamic and covers a wide spectrum of
>sound/music.

 It is good . The problem I'm having is that when I play it for English
people I know they aren't going to accept it as 'my darling Heroiners'or 'm=
darling ero-winners'. There needs to be twice as much . There needs to be
that emotional leap of daring to write down some meaningful words and
actually sing them .. it doesn't have to be much; I'm not talking about the
'kitty's here to stay' business. I talking about the thing that soothes
people who are emotionally stressed, the thing that makes intelligent young
women shout out: "I love You!" at a performance and encourages people to
enthusiastically mob you in the street.

  IT'S ALL VERY well to say we're post-ironic or whatever now ; we can talk
about music with a verse/chorus/verse/chorus without pulling that off.Even
Bob Dylan is annoying until one is popular and when the chorus comes around
again one realizes one isn't the only person who's been on that lonely
mountaintop.

  The text is a good idea ..it doesn't go far enough. Even rap artists use
deconstructed techniques and then convert that to something that's
accessible from a day-to-day routine.

> i do have to say that i am very tempted to pull the cd trays
>off of the digipak to see what the text says that is hidden underneath.

It looks like the same thing in german translation.

on 3/11/03 1:35 AM, Mark Roberts at mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>=20
> Heroin is a great album - one of my favourites. But this re-release is a =
bit
> frustrating as I already have the original, now I have to buy it again to
> get the remixes.
>=20
> It's a bit of a mainstream tactic - like the Elvis Costello reissues!

  I think you're very right to be suspicious. Looks like some clever
commercial tactics to me..and the bit about the warmth of tube amps...that'=
like something from an Indie Pop demo blurb and these guys don't even sing
which points to a lack of emotional commitment . What's more ..when I go to
Tower Records on my birthday looking for something by "Hymn'...you know the=
won't have  'Paysage' , or '...b=E9n=E9diction, draw.' and those people look
like they're travelling around and getting drunk and having fun and probabl=
taking drugs and I work soo hard and I can't afford my watch repair or some
Helmut Lang underwear and...( S T A R T S  S O B B I N G  H Y S T E R I C A
L L Y  A N D  L E A V E S  T H E  R O O M )

=20