Cream on Electronic Music

The latest issue of Cream (online theoretical art magazine) contains
three interesting texts that are reflections on music and
musicianship, and how the limits, techniques and potentials of those
categories are influenced by digital technologies. Alex Mclean,
musician, programmer and artist (www.slab.org) picks out some
irritating norms of electronic music and then, as curative,
introduces us to the bash shell as musical performance tool. Jo Walsh
(www.zooleika.org.uk) imagines how semantic webs of meta-information
reconfigure our relationship to music and music making. Michael
Weinkove's (www.talkaoke.com) text is a critical study of the
changing icon of the musician, tracing the passage of the humble
technician to the superstar DJ we know today.

http://cream.artcriticism.org/