Re: [microsound] predictablism : : turntablism

Hi Tobias. Actually, I was partially poking fun at my own Pavlovic knee
jerk response to your previous post, but ok... I'll elaborate further...

> I wouldn't immediately associate field recordings with
> phonography--given
> that the proper name for record player is phonograph.
>
> Field recordings should perhaps give their name to the art of sound
> recording with microphones-- micography ..

Sure enough, but as with many words through time, it can also take on new
usages and therefore, new definitions, if used widely enough. In this
particular instance, the usage has been increasing steadily. Although the
website which is run by Marcelo Radulovich, defines "phonography" as the
art of field recording, I (who produce the comps) look at it as an
umbrella term to include (rather than directly equate to) field recording
and other kinds of sound captures using various devices.

"Phonography" the word, literally can be translated as "sound writing".
The idea behind the group and it's use of the term is in comparison to
the word "photography" in relation to image captures. The first usage I
encountered of it as pertaining to "field recording" was in a book by
David Dunn called "Why Do Whales And Children SIng" which was published
back in 1999. I talked to him about where he first heard it used as such,
and he said he didn't know, but that when he was writing the book, it
just spontaneously came to him.

"Micography" is interesting tho'
Cheers, Dale
Dale Lloyd:  http://www.and-oar.org/dalelloyd.html