RE: [microsound] Re: OT[microsound ] war

At 11:00 AM -0800 3/26/03, <macrosound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>This has made me think of the dadaist movement in post WWII Europe.
>People were in a state of confusion.  Their entire world(physically,
>mentaly) had been turned upside-down and they began to question what was
>real.

Make that "WW I" aka "the Great War." The Dada movement started in
Z=FCrich in 1916, less than two years after the onset of the war and
more than two years before its end. Many artists and others were
taking refuge in Switzerland during the war (it's interesting to know
that Lenin was in Z=FCrich at that time and frequented some of the same
spots as the Dadaists).

Avant garde art movements have had interesting relationships to war,
revolution, and politics - and not always on the side of peace. F.T.
Marinetti and the Italian Futurists were pro war and later aligned
with the Fascists (his 1924 "Futurism and Fascism" argued that
=46ascism was a nutural extension of Futurism).

The Russian Futurists were active in the years following the Russian
Revolution, organizing agit-prop campaigns to promote the coming
utopian society. This optimism didn't last, and they were later
denounced as decadent and counter-revolutionary.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com