Re: [microsound] fan reaction to laptop

This has also happened to me.  It was bad booking.  There was a blues band
after me and about half way through the set they started tuning over me.
I yelled at them and it didn't register so I put myself between the singer
and the mic and started telling the crowd that someone was playing music.
I said it about 3 times and pointed and told the guys to stop tuning over
my set and all I got were blank looks.  Later, some people who were
farther back in the bar came up to me to tell me they liked my set.  Go
figure...

One time, I was spinning records, no laptop, old-fashioned vinyl, at a
party and there had been a band before the DJs.  The guys from the band
started unplugging us.  They would unplug, plug back in, unplug, plug back
in.  Me and a friend went to see what was happening to the power and they
were all hostile.  One guy got in my face and I put my hand up and said
"No prob, buddy" or something like that and he grabbed my hand and started
bending it back.  I just walked away (not a fighter).

I've never had good reception to a laptop set.  Turntables have brought a
little more interest, but not much.  I really don't understand it.  Music
is music.  People don't have to like what I do but they don't have to be
hostile. I think it's sort of a clique thing.  People tend to be
pretentious about their music.  I think pretentious musicians should have
their fingers cut off or at least permanently duct-taped.