Re: [microsound] fan reaction to laptop

On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 10:08  PM, Kurt Ralske wrote:

> the subject line reminded me of one of the first laptop performances i
> ever
> saw: jim o'rourke, in 1997 or 98, in a warehouse/gallery type space in
> Chelsea, NYC. there was no stage, jim was set up at an ordinary table
> with
> his G3.
>
> halfway through his set, a young woman made her way through the
> audience to
> jim's table, and began talking to him as he performed:
>
> girl :  hey, when's the next band on?
> jim : [distracted] .....uhhh, they're on right now
> girl : [confused] really? who are they?
> jim : ...it's me!
> girl : [looks confused; walks away]

Heh.  A similar thing happened to me, but it was back in 1994 and I had
an Amiga and some other gear on stage.  A handful of people who knew me
just walked up and started talking.  I *think* I at least had a guitar
on me at the time.  Stage...Gear...Guitar...Noise...  You'd think they
could put it all together....

Then again, maybe they were used to me being sound-guy at most of these
shows and thought I was just setting up for someone else.

Good times.  I really wish I had a tape of that show.

J.Shell
ELW y10
http://euc.cx/

Rive, finest recordings since 1994,2003