Re: [microsound] fountain cd

> As I see it (or at least like to read into it) they went for a full
> frontal direct experience without dampers, cushions and protecting
> layers in the form of 'ideas, aesthetics and values'.

To me, direct experience is equivalent to an *expansion* of the attention
and openness of mind that for me *is* the aesthetic, or artistic, or
sublime experience.

Perhaps I don't see an opposition here because I had the benefit of
growing up in a post-Dada world. Or because I use these words in a naive
way.

Don't get me wrong, I am not rejecting the idea that "ideas about Art" are
a mediating factor of greater or lesser value, difficulty, etc (and it
seems most art today is situated specifically *in* that difficulty, is
simultaenously in and about that discourse itself... which is why we
are here, I think...)...

...but I can reconcile that, personally, with my own intention (goal in
fact) of learning to be open to the "aesthetic" qualities of the world.

Does this make me an aethete?  A romantic?  Even a hedonist?

I'm not asking rhetorically, if someone can situate and name my intuitions
(heresies?) and point me to the problems I might encounter going this way
I'm all ears.

If Duchamp intended, as you explain it, to say that the cultivation of the
experience of the sublime is to be avoided [because it is at odds with
many genuine problems of the world -- with the fact of its dis-
satisfactoryness, to Buddhists?  Because the adherence of this experence
to objects meant they were complicit with the sins of capitalism?] then I
renounce him (in this) wholeheartedly. I will make the leap of faith, open
eyed, and enjoy myself.

 best,
  aaron

  ghede@xxxxxxxx