Re: once isn't enough/documentation was re: ever-sharing

> Forgive me if I missed something, but weren't we simply discussing *one*
>project, one CD ~ not a new dogma?

yes, i really don't understand all this fuss going on. no one said
that everyone on the list had to change their life style or their art
(style).

it's just one single give-it-a-try.

and reading all these mails of people scared that their "art" is not
going to be appreciated, or understood, disappoints me a lot.

i don't want to offend anyone, but this fear of uniquess is directly
related to egocentrism when it comes to personal work.

as an artist, i'm not particularly happy when someone pays little
attention to my work (especially when they manifest so much enthusiasm
beforehand), and of course i would be happier if they had the will
to go over the matieral many times. if you think about it, one of the
main reasons that people pay little attention the first time they
listen to something is because they have the reassurring knowledge
that they can come back to it whenever they want.

but what i always repeat to myself is that once i have done the work
and it's out on a label, it isn't mine anymore. if someone buys the
cd, they're free to do anything they like with it (e.g. destroy it)

as a listner, i too like to have multiple occasions/situations in which
i can enjoy the same piece of music. the fact that it is so easily
reproduced works on our perception/use of memory (see tobias' words)
and in the end is a particular expression of mass consumption
(see Walter Benjamin's words).

we are so used to this, that all some poeople are saying is simply:
hey! it would be *different* to try something different, for once.

sort of like going in the past, but with the knowledge/attitude/quality
of the present (micro-precise) time.

it has nothing to do with quantity vs quality. and minimalism absolutely
wouldn't die (hasn't it already?)

plus, there is so much inflation of music, that making unique songs
would maybe give a little more value to the tracks themselves, and
to the listener him/herself.

> I tend to think that experimentation with restrictions leads to often
> unexpected results

yes, think about the OULIPO.

best.

 -l-@dp