Re: [microsound] [OT] hiphop article

sigh.  i guess it's my own fault for opening my mouth.

> For those who insist that even the invisible structures of society
> reinforce racism, the burden of proof should rest with them to explain
> just why hip-hop's bloody and sexist lyrics and videos and the
> criminal behavior of many rappers wouldn't have a powerfully negative
> effect upon whites' conception of black people.
>

> as far as i know,  Ben, your opinion of this idea is that it is
> garbage. could you explain why?

i don't dispute that rap music has a negative effect upon some (stupid)
people's conception of black people.  i also don't dispute that gangsta
rap music has a negative effect on some (stupid) people in terms of
glorifying the lifestyle of crime or whatever.  but there was no
consideration of any other angle, just the malformed opinion of a dude
who ran into a bunch of rowdies at KFC and had to listen to a rapper
one night on the subway.

and i mean, haven't I read this article a hundred times before?  every
edgy music and art has advocates and critics that go through the same
retarded motions.  okay, so Cop Killa isn't exactly the type of tune
you want to play for your impressionable kids.  Ice-T was pissed.  so
is the problem the art, or is the problem that some people are STUPID
and impressionable?  we should be chastised for satire?  I suppose
Marilyn Manson should be banned because of those kids at columbine?
god damn music, it's to blame!  if it weren't for marilyn manson more
black people would like white people, right?  the candle stopped
burning, i guess there's too much phlogiston in the air?  god damn
phlogiston.

I mean, jesus: "Hip Hop creates nothing"?!?  the author clearly is a
retard.

that's all you get.
ben