Re: [microsound] Max/MSP for Windows

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 12:11  PM, formatt wrote:

>> FWIW, Supercollider 3 (SC Server) is coming along nicely, with new
>> binary snapshots released in a semi-timely fashion.  Native to OS X
>> (and apparently now runs on Linux too), and with a wide array of
>> objects.
>>
>> And it's completely free now.
>>
>> http://supercollider.sf.net/
>
> Thank you very much for this info! Finally I don't have to boot in os9
> anymore to use SC. Runs pretty smooth I think.. :)

I was pretty happy with it - I just started playing with it in the past
few weeks.  There are a lot of new things to get used to, and some old
SC2 things that I miss.  But since I was so loathe to boot down to OS 9
just to do SuperCollider, I found myself sitting there without
inspiration by the time OS 9 booted when I did try.  As such, I got so
rusty with it that it's not too bad starting over with SC 3, which is
not *radically* different, but the disappearance of Spawn and friends
(OverlapTexture, XFadeTexture) will take some getting used to.  But the
ability to load and unload patches onto the server that modify the
existing sound is cool - a lot like plugging in new guitar pedals, but
without interrupting the sound.

The whole server architecture is interesting.  You can quit the
SuperCollider program and hear the sound keep on going.

> Are there any new examples also?

There are new examples in the distribution.  I just wish I had more
time to play with it right now.