Re: [microsound] Max/MSP for Windows

hi all. I'm getting into pd  lately on osx, and I'm very surprised of
the level of usability, especially with the mac improvements made by
Adam Lindsay recently
http://homepage.mac.com/atl/pd/
I guess that being the base code for msp, pd should retain the same
quality and  even get greater improvements being mantained by the
original author, although it is clearly ruder.

> 1. pluggo - being able to turn your patches into plugins is pretty
> super.  (not finished yet for OS X or Windows, but coming soon)
something similar may be possible with the new jack port and AudioUnits
http://www.grame.fr/~letz/jack.html
http://www.meskalina.it/elementicaotici/dev/audiounits.html
windows  users can have pd as vst
http://mamalala.de/xovo/pdauto.html
and also vst inside pd (vst~).

> 2. standalones - being able to turn your patches into distributable
> applications is pretty super.  (ala everyone's good friend twerk)
> (not finished yet for Windows but coming soon)
well, this is really missing in pd, but you can launch it with a
specific patch and gripd as a replacement gui ...

> 3. jitter - although video is the natural application, matrix-based
> processing is useful in all sorts of audio contexts
I have not tried gridflow, but it seems a good alternative (a part from
gem for gl stuff)

> 4. midi - if like me you still use hardware it's nice to use all of
> max's great midi processing tools
  pd has all the basic max midi stuff at least, you can build your own
processing tools or use anyone else's :-)

> 5. user interface - there are many very nice UI objects in max.  even
> if you're interested purely in DSP you still need friendly widgets to
> tweak the parameters
you have the basic stuff (sliders and so) plus the ability to make your
own with gripd or paradidle. no built-in image slider, though.

with respect to documentation, there are excellent tutorials with the
distribution. you have the standard reference and the pure
documentation project.
Furthermore the book Miller Puckette is writing uses pd...

cheers.