Re: protools free

From: Ian Andrews <i.andrews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> While its not an advertisement for pt6 it is, however, an advertisement for
> their high end TDM systems.  In this way Protools (who many remember as
> being dubbed "slo tools") have become, rather unfairly, the industry
> standard (though it could be argued that they had already partially
> achieved this prior to the free version with a massive advertising
> campaign).

starting to go off-topic, but i must disagree. first of all, digidesign has
been around for much longer than the competition (in audio). i like their
software, as it was designed as an audio-program first with midi stuff added
later, not the other-way-around (like cubase, for example). just a personal
preference.

protools free has been around a few years, i personally have been using PT
for about 10 years. from version 3 up (and sound designer II before that).

i've recorded and mixed many projects with other systems (performer, logic,
cubase on mac, sonar and samplitude on PC) and i've always found any
protools version (free, LE, TDM, HD) to be more stable than the
competition...

i managed to mix a complete album (most songs using the full 32 tracks
offered on the beta of PT 5.2 + quit a lot of plugins) on a 300mhz G3 mac.
so i don't personally understand the "slo tools" reference...

>The problem is that for people like myself who work in the
> training/education sector, it becomes impossible to resist protools'
> dominance in the market, so that we have no choice but to buckle under the
> pressure and teach the free and LE versions of protools,  instead of going
> with the best software available, thus perpetuating the cycle.  This in
> turn has led to an apathetic and uninovative approach from protools and
> their software has stagnated where other software companies have gone
> ahead.  I look forward to version 6 of protools free, only because I find
> it absolutely absurd to recommend the teaching of an "industry standard"
> sound editing application that has only one level of undo and cannot deal
> with stereo files correctly (something taken for granted in DAW software
> since 1995!).
>
> But its free! So what more can I say?
>
> end of rant.

but these limitations only apply to pt free, right? multiple-level undos +
stereo-tracks are supported from pt 5.1 up, including all other versions.

what other manufacturers are offering ANY free versions of their programs?

ok, i start to sound like a digidesign fan. what i'm not 100%. i dislike
many things in their products, like the fact that i have to plug my mbox in
every time i want to boot up protools LE (every other program can monitor
through soundmanager), their (usually) cryptic technical support, etc etc.

 t-mu

]]] tkorpipa@xxxxxxxxx           [[[
[[[ "Non-stop golden dance hour" ]]]