mainstream microsound//tweaky pop

i've avoided this thread set for a few reasons:

1 - Brandy "Full Moon." amazingly glitchy for a pop album and pretty much
better listening than half of the stuff any of us produce (YT included). and
i believe it even predates Roads' book, if my memory serves me well...

2 - i've bought sound effects CDs for sampling. i've even been known to drop
a couple of bucks for big name sample CDs that i couldn't reproduce myself.

2a-equivalently, i can make an excellent mustard by hand in my restaurant's
kitchen or i can order Grey Poupon. is one better than the other? is one
better for speed and consistency of product?

3 - UMG has decided to switch packaging to something a bit cheaper to cut
costs and thus offer a better price point to the retailer and (hopefully) on
to us as consumers. the rationale they give is the sales slump as opposed to
a lack of artist development or quality products. while i personally doubt
that people will buy inferior product simply because it's cheaper, i reserve
my cynicism for later use.

4 - the sampling CD has given me new impetus to finally make "sounds of the
Kodak 70" available to the general public... that, plus a good handful of
analog tape noises mixed with various haptic sources.

is glitch being co-opted? it already has been. i still own "Houses of the
Holy" on 8-track for the fade out points...

are we in danger of being replaced by "superior" artists? as always. and
sometimes, speed of delivery of product is "superior."

WIITWD will continue to be a "boutique" item. have no fear of that. but
"mainstream" exposure of glitch music isn't necessarily a bad thing either.
i got into noise by way of Coil, then Current 93, winding up being a
crackwhore for NWW releases (must... get... all...) and then one morning
guitars weren't that interesting to me anymore.

i doubt i'm alone in this.

love, keith