happy

hi list,

i've been very pleased so far with the reaction to the early stages
of my new label, Happy. but i would definitely like to clear up some
confusion. first of all, there are a few people who are
shocked/surprised by the nature of the label. but, would it really be
necessary for me to start yet another "microsound" label? for one
thing, i like to keep listeners on their toes, and not get too
comfortable doing the same thing all the time (which is why i'm
constantly trying to evolve the sound of 12k), but, more importantly,
i started happy simply becuase this is a type of music i listen to
all of the time, and it's really hard to find outside of japan... so
i hope to be able to bring some of it to a wider audience.

the decision to have the Piana cd be the first release was difficult
for me. as you may have noticed, i made no announcement to the
microsound list about the launch of label, simply because happy is
*not* a microsound label. this is why i was unsure of having Piana as
the first release due to the electronic and experimental nature of
some of her textures (but please, check out the MP3 of the bonus
track "bluebell"... decidedly NOT microsound...), as i didn't want
people to think that Happy was trying to appeal to the
microsounders.. because, frankly, it probably won't.

i hope as time goes on, and releases come out (it will be small,
maybe 2-3 releases per year) that the music will speak for itself and
people will either like the label and follow it, or simply not pay
attention. i plan very strongly to have very NON-electronic releases
(think, Sugar Plant, or Cafa, for example)... and that one day
discussion of this label on this mailing list will be hopefully be
considered "off topic.". not becuase i don't respect the discussions
on this list, but because my goal in starting a new label (which i
can't believe i will find the time to do) is to make sure it is
DIFFERENT from 12k and LINE.

for those of you ready to be afraid that Happy will be too commercial
for you.. well, it probably will be. but for me it's a way to address
and work with an entirely different type of music that i like to
listen to... and i can make no apologies or excuses for that! :)

i hope some of you enjoy the releases... please be sure to jump to
the website and get on our newsletter mailing list to stay updated.

happy listening

taylor

--
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
WWW.12K.COM

NOW:
12k1025 | E/A/D/G/B/E | CD | JULY.03
LINE015 | MIKI YUI | SILENCE RESOUNDING | CD | JULY.03

SOON:
12k1026/LINE016 | VARIOUS ARTISTS | TWO POINT TWO | 2XCD (12k)
TAYLOR DEUPREE, CHRISTOPHER WILLITS | CD (sub rosa/audiosphere)

LIVE:
OCT 23 | DUBLIN, IRELAND | DUBLIN ELECTRONIC ARTS FESTIVAL