fingerprints (was) can't teach an old aibo new tricks

> Does anyone here know if SHack, VST, Peak, Sound Forge, Max, etc. leave any
> "fingerprints," on audio, the way that for example Dream Weaver does?
>
> Does audio processed with [for example] Peak have a "fingerprint," left
> from Peak? anyone working in this type of digital audio forensics?
>
> Also (maybe this has been covered) what is the legal use law when it comes
> to producing unrecognizable audio from copyrighted audio?

Well there are fingerprints of using a certain program and fingerprints
that hide a serial number of some kind of personal info inside something
which I think is something to worry about unless thats exactly your goal.

About the former less worrysome situation-

I can say something about Peak, a program I generally like most
everything about but this... and I've mentioned this to several people
representing Bias over the years.

What Peak apparently does is store it's own propriatary format waveform
preview inside your original .aif and I believe .sd2 files.  Most other
apps store their own previews as separate files or not at all. So the
net result which annoys me to no end is if you open say an .aif file
that originated somewhere else, Peak is going to create a preview and
store it inside the file even if I never further alter let alone save my
.aif file. What I don't like is the file gets re-dated to the current
clock time even if I never save or alter my original. I use backup
programs to do incremental backups and eliminate duplicate files and I
need to know what files I've changed and don't need to know about files
I've backed up on a previous session. Having the same file with that
extra peak preview means every audio file that I backed up from another
app gets backed up again it was later merely listened to in Peak at a
later date.

nicholas d. kent