[SF CA USA][Fri Nov 7] Field Effects 16

Apologies as always for the crossposting!

----------[ Quiet American presents at 964 Natoma ]--------------------

Field Effects 16
Friday, November 7
Doors 8pm
964 Natoma, San Francisco, CA (USA)

$6-10 requested sliding donation,
 no one turned away for lack of funds.

----> Event Description <----------------------------------------------

The world makes music, remember to listen.

Field Effects is an ongoing series of concerts showcasing the use of
found sound, found materials, and field recordings in media art,
presented in a comfortable environment.

Field Effects 16 features work from Bay Area sound artists:

  John Bischoff and Tim Perkis

    JOHN BISCHOFF is an early pioneer of live computer music. He is
    known for his solo constructions in real-time synthesis as well
    as his pioneering work in the development of Computer Network
    Music. He has been active in the experimental music scene for
    over 25 year as a composer, performer, teacher, and grassroots
    activist. His performances include NEW MUSIC AMERICA festivals
    in 1981 and 1989, Roulette Intermedium (NYC), and the Beyond
    Music Festival (Venice, CA); he performed in Europe at the
    Festival d'Automne in Paris, Akademie der Kunst in Berlin,
    Fylkingen in Stockholm, and most recently T-U-B-E in Munich. He
    is a founding member of the League of Automatic Music Composers,
    considered the world's first Computer Network Band, and was a
    member of the network band The Hub from 1985 to 1996. In 1999, he
    received a $25,000 award from the Foundation for Contemporary
    Performance Arts in New York in recognition of his music.
    Recordings of John's work are available on various labels
    including Lovely Music, Frog Peak, and Artifact Recordings; he
    has a new release, 'Aperture,' on 23five. He is a Lecturer in
    Computer Music and on staff as Studios Coordinator at the
    Center for Contemporary Music at Mills College.

    TIM PERKIS has been working in the medium of live electronic and
    computer sound for many years, performing, exhibiting installation
    works and recording in North America, Europe and Japan. His work
    has largely been concerned with exploring the emergence of life-
    like properties in complex systems of interaction. In addition, he
    is a well-known performer in improvised music, having performed on
    his electronic improvisation instruments with over 100 artists and
    groups, including Chris Brown, John Butcher, Eugene Chadbourne,
    Fred Frith, Gianni Gebbia, Luc Houtkamp, Yoshi Ichiraku,
    Roscoe Mitchell, Gino Robair, ROVA Saxophone Quartet, Elliott
    Sharp, Leo Wadada Smith and John Zorn. Ongoing groups he has
    founded or played in include the League of Automatic Music
    Composers and the Hub (pioneering live computer network bands)
    and Rotodoti, the Natto Quartet, and Fuzzybunny. Recordings of
    Tim's work are available on several labels: Artifact, Limited
    Sedition, 482, Lucky Garage, Praemedia and Tzadik (USA); Sonore
    and Meniscus (France); Curva Minore and Snowdonia (Italy); and
    XOR (Netherlands).

    About his collaboration with John Bischoff for FE16, Tim writes:

       'My contribution to the evening's collaboration is a live
       performance of BULGAVE, a special-purpose software musical
       instrument/composition, based on synthesized sounds, insect
       recordings from Japan and a recording of trumpet player Tom Djll
       using some of his more astounding extended techniques. My work
       in the last few years has moved towards creating more tranquil
       environments. I have no doubt the disturbing state of the world
       and the full flowering of US aggression has its place in this
       turning away from brash, abrasive, and irreverent musical
       activity -- I think most of the world, myself included, has had
       quite enough of brash, irreverent Americans at the moment.
       Tranquility is in short supply, and it's quite natural I think
       for art to evolve towards serving as antidote to the prevailing
       anxiety.'

    John Bischoff adds:

       'I will be adding my own electronic voice to Tim's BULGAVE
       using a software instrument I have developed called OVERRIDE.
       Based on multi-layered samples of acoustic and electronic
       sources, OVERRIDE moves between states of gradual evolution
       and rapid excursion. Radical filtering driven by the performer
       helps locate free areas to play within BULGAVE's sonic
       ecology.'

      http://www.mills.edu/ACAD_INFO/mus_bischoff.html
      http://www.perkis.com

  Josh Russell

    Josh Russell isolates and extracts low-volume incidental sounds
    and puts them back together in an attempt to highlight the
    unfolding minutia as quiet ecstasy and induce anticipative
    relaxation. He founded the experimental sound label
    bremsstrahlung recordings, which focuses on publishing 'egoless
    sound.'

    Asked about the work he would like to present, Josh wrote:

       'With my own music I've been getting into things which are
       more overtly musical; I've been more interested in live
       maniputation of objects, sometimes without amplifying sounds at
       all, and try to leave the laptop stuff to a minimum. I have
       a strong idea in mind for what i'd like to try for the Field
       Effects show -- part of it involves recreating live the track
       I had on the last lowercase sound compilation...'

    For this performance some of the objects involved will be helium
    balloons, hamster wheel, xylophone, sheep's blood freezing in a
    dry-ice methanol bath, cell phone, ball bearings, inclined planes,
    a sampler, and a computer.

      http://www.lowercasesound.com/

  Joe Balestreri

    Joe Balestreri walks with one foot in instrumental music and
    the other in digital musique concrete. He has played trumpet
    and guitar in bands performing everything from jazz-funk to
    prog-rock to 'cinematic death mambo,' explored the polyrhythms
    of West Africa, composed contemporary classical music, and
    penned plenty of good ol' fashioned pop songs.

    Joe's interest in found sound-based music began while studying
    composition with David Vayo at Illinois Wesleyan University.
    Being a lover of all sounds, great and small, he's recorded an
    arsenal of high-quality environmental soundscapes, as well as
    noises from machines and other random objects. Combining and
    editing them in the computer yields music that is sometimes
    ethereal, sometimes intensely rhythmic. Joe's field
    recording-based work seeks to make people more aware of the
    subtle music that surrounds them continually. Through
    juxtaposition of found sounds with musical instruments,
    he asks, 'why can't crickets and people make music together?'

      http://www.metaman.us

The Field Effects series showcases artists interested in framing
the hidden beauty of the everyday world: beauty on the surface,
awaiting our attention. Beauty that must be delicately extracted.
And beauty in potential, awaiting juxtaposition, collage,
repetition and mutilation.

Seating mostly on futons to encourage comfortable deep listening
and viewing. Alas, our loaner beanbags may have departed; you may
want to bring a pillow.

Depending on weather, hot or cold drinks will be available on a
donation-based honor system. Hopefully someone will make cookies.

----> Venue Info <----------------------------------------------------

964 Natoma
San Francisco, CA, USA

Between Mission and Howard, 10th and 11th street, south of market.
A few blocks from Civic Center BART, or the corner of Market & Van
Ness. Bike parking inside!

About the series: http://www.quietamerican.org/related_fe.html

This message is not for print distribution or advertising.
This is a private event for friends, family and our community.

Questions? Write ghede@xxxxxxxx