Re: microsound Digest 4 Nov 2003 21:18:20 -0000 Issue 1049

> > unless you're a musician & you want to be able to trade patches--but
> > that is of no interest to the simple listener.
>Unless you believe that all people are musicians because of their
>potential, I must disagree with this point.  I think it is of great
>interest to simple listeners.  Imagine future scenarios where your
>listeners could have access to your source materials to re-work.

in which case they are not just 'simple listeners' but also musicians.

>Arguably, the sale of sheet music was an open music format.  Of course the
>printed material was copywritten and derivative works couldn't be freely
>published but aspiring performers had free reign to examine the "source
>code" of the music and interpret it at will.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the only parallel that could be made
with open source patches is if you had access to a 'how to' guide to make
your own guitar or piano (or synthesiser), for example.

sheet music (i.e. instructions as to how to use any given 'music tool' in
order to produce a certain 'song') are something else--i don't think that's
what we were arguing about.

have a nice day
~ david