Re: [microsound] open audio license

Phil,

> Yes, the creative commons licenses are great, but it seems there's
> nothing to prevent someone from taking something released under any of
> their licenses, sampling it, releasing a mega-hit that makes a million
> bucks, and not sharing any of that wealth with the original artist.

There are several different Creative Commons licenses, including ones
which permit only noncommercial use.  One thing to note about using
these licenses, is that you do retain your full copyright, and give
away only those rights you choose to (by selecting a license that suits
your own goals).  If you choose a license that restricts commercial
use, then the scenario you discuss would be illegal, and enforceable
through the ordinary legal means. (you are free as the copyright holder
to license broadly under a noncommercial license, and then also sell
commercial rights to specific customers in the normal manner).

The GPL and other copyleft licenses (like the Creative Commons
AttributionShareAlike license) are interesting to me in that they do
allow the kind of scenario you're describing, but only in cases where
the resulting mega-hit *is also licensed under the same license*.
Copyleft licenses are viral, preventing re-privatizing of the common
pool.  You would then be able to freely (legally) sell as many copies
of the mega-hit yourself as you care to.  The ways in which artists (or
programmers) make money under these licenses tend to be oblique
(performing, selling objects like cds or t-shirts, customizing, being
hired for their demonstrated talent and expertise, sponsoring
commercial products because of their fame/reputation, etc) rather than
through royalties, but there's some genuinely interesting territory to
explore in that direction.

> This
> might be particularly problematic given the fact that, for example, the
> archive.org site contains a number of recordings by black blues
> artists.

The copyrights on things in the archives still do belong to the
original artists (or copyright holders), and some are offered under
explicit Creative Commons licenses (which the archive makes possible
through its software).  You cannot legally license something if you do
not hold the copyright.  Putting music files up publicly anywhere on
the internet can be problematic (as we know from the file sharing
brouhaha) but it doesn't change the legal ownership of the material in
question.

Sal