SV: SV: Re: [microsound] no OS

The import of an artwork is not a decision. It is complex and multi-faceted.
No artist has full control of what their work will mean, and they shouldn't
have either. Artists are not wiser than other people. But good artworks are.

This is exactly the reason to be an artist instead of a journalist. In my
perspective there is a difference, whereas in your perspective the artist
just communicates some statement or fact, and we are left to finding out
what she meant - why didn't she just write an article, then?

Sometimes the artist just creates something. And sometimes that something
turns out to be brilliant or important. It may not be the way he intented
it. He may never have thought about what his own work means.

Torben

---trommer wrote---

really ? why not ? why not just be a journalist, then, instead of a musician
or artist ?

An artwork often has a political import which the creator was not
> conscious of. There is no mystery about that.

sure...but who decides, then, if it isn't the author ? that's the part that
makes me nervous. ...and what if they get it completely ass-backwards,
which, in my experience, is often the case...?

it's a good point...perhaps someone like leni riefenstahl is a good example
of what you're getting at ?