noise?

Hello Microsound,

Perhaps those on this list with an interest in "noise" can explain the
form to me.

I have studied music is all its forms, from the beginnings of western
music to the deterioration of sound art into concept - an yet, i still
have no solid appreciation for the modern pandemic of "noise".  I post
this here because I am actively looking for a persuasive argument which
would sway my extreme aversion to this form of modern music. Let the
diatribe begin.

I am aware that much of modern conceptual art regards aestheticism and
execution as wholly irrelevant to the work - but I ask you noisemakers,
how many different types of noises can we fill our artificial world
with before the level of unstructured information becomes totally
overwhelming - and by overwhelming i mean just giving me a fucking
headache. Is it structured and i merely do not have the codec to make
sense of the information stream? How can I as a listener, as an
audience, as a musician, tell if the producer of said noise understands
what they are doing - or if the discovery of the noises that their
electronic and software circuits can produce has merely triggered the
most base of adolescent fascinations - i do it because i can - aka -
why not?.

Need I sit through 30 minutes of a gurgling sound mixed with shrill
piercing waveform in order to learn that the artist was utterly
obsessed with the process of this sound's inception. Does it ultimately
matter to the audience if what s/he produced was the result of a
sonified neural network? Must I read a 5 page essay or attend a lecture
to understand what I am listening to? Maybe so.

I am obviously missing the point. I cannot even begin to give you the
names of the artisans whose work I am speaking of, so those who know,
please let me know who I am talking about.

So here are my questions about the form in a nutshell:
1. What is "noise" communicating and to what audience?
2. Why?
"intensity of experience" is an unacceptable answer (which i have
already been given).

It may well be that noise is the gateway to a higher level of musical
structures and possibilities - like the Kurzweilian (is that a word
yet?) vision of future music being so sonically and structurally
advanced that it is rendered uninterpretable by those without the
proper implants.

Best to all you noise makers and listeners,
David Michael