Re: [microsound] conventional noise?

just a short comment:

many of the discussions on this list, and in related
litterautre mention the shift from "conventional"
musical parameters like rhythm and melody into pure
timre and free time as it appears in modern music, as
this was something positive in itself, but this seems
to be a rahter outdated use of the term "conventional"

rhythm and melody may be conventional in an old
classical discourse, but in a
noise/mircosound/experimental discourse theese terms
does not apply - maybe within the old avantgarde one
could say: "the old conventions are broken up into
something new" but as we all know, a lot of modern
composers dosent "experiment" in that sense, but uses
a musical language of " broken conventions" like cd's
skipping or granular abstractions - meaning they
relate their composition to the general discourse of
electronic and experimental music - for me " a
conventional audioprocessing using fx a bitreduction
plug-in" are just as conventional as rhythm and melody
were in the old classical/mainstream discourse - isent
the use of the roland tb-303 extremely "conventional"
in technomusic? isent the use of particular software
and production techniques extremely "conventional" in
microsound music?

my simple thesis is that modern music seems to make up
new conventions, and this seems to be a historical
mechanism, rather than a conscious intent from some
composers. but still the use of the term
"conventional" infiltrates the terminology surrounding
new music, so that one still can read record rewiews
that says "this composer creates something really new
and exiting, he does not use conventional musical
parameters"
were it should say "this composer uses the wellknown
conventions of new music, and there is nothing new or
unconventioal about that" - then it comes down to: is
this music good music or bad? what is it saying?  for
me this has absolutely nothing to do with the use,
misuse or not-use of any musical conventions.