Re: [microsound] Gabor Matrix

On Dec 30, 2003, at 11:59 AM, Kim Cascone wrote:

I am reading Roads' _Microsound_ and I am having a hard time
understanding figure 2.2 (p. 60).

if you concentrate on the bottom figure (the sonogram) you'll see a martrix
with frequency on the y axis, time on the x axis and energy on the z axis
(the z axis is implicit)...the darkness of the markings indicate acoustical
energy while its length indicates its energy over time (envelope)...

Thanks for your reply!

I am not sure about what's the direct correlation between the sonogram and the matrices above it. But also, I haven't figured out how to interpret or use the these two matrices at the top.

What got me more interested in how the Gabor Matrix could be used, is that later on that chapter (pp. 65-66), it says that Xenakis used it in _Analogique B_, and I don't have the slightest clue about how it can be used:

"...the screens are snapshots of sound bounded by frequency and amplitude grids, each screen subdivided into elementary squares of sonic energy, according to the resolution fo the Gabor Matrix."

Any clarification would be very appreciated!,

Sergio
http://www.sergioluque.com