Re: [microsound] Tony Conrad's The Flicker

Hi,

If there's a screening of Peter Kubelkas "Arnulf Rainer" you should see it....
It's made out of black and clear frames (it flickers...), the sound is weather white noise or it's silent. It's made 1960 and you should find a lot about it in the net...

for example Fred Camper wrote about it:

Arnulf Rainer (1960)

Arnulf Rainer?s images are the most ´reducedª of all ? this is a film composed entirely of frames of solid black and solid white which Kubelka strings together in lengths as long as 24 seconds and as short as a single frame. When he alternates between single black and white frames, a rapid flicker effect is produced, which is as close as Kubelka can come to the somewhat more rapid flicker of motion-picture projection; during the long sections of darkness one waits in nervous anticipation for the flicker to return, without knowing precisely which form it will take. But Arnulf Rainer is not merely a study of film rhythm and flicker. In reducing the cinema to its essentials, Kubelka has not stripped it of meaning, but rather made an object which has qualities so general as to suggest a variety of possible meanings, each touching on some essential aspect of existence.

(Fred Camper)

thanks, Bernhard