RE: [microsound] re: 7econds - new microsound project

From: ndk <ndkent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Now what strikes me regarding these calculations is that audio in a
sound art context is already intrinsically a time based medium. It
differs greatly from a general examination of information (including
info conveyed through audio) because these media have an indeterminate
time dimension that can be optimally assigned

True but in the realm of electronic music time has become plastic so perhaps we can reassign the audio information in a more condensed or optimized arrangement. I've considered this before and wondered why we bother with fancy compression schemes when we could simply time compress music and allow others to re-expand it or not as they wish. The challenge then is to construct musical information that can survive such compression intact.

Anyone remember blipverts from Max Headroom (or was that Videodrome)? I'm also reminded of Raymond Scott's audio logos which were short bursts of electronic music used to brand a product on the radio or TV. The concept is of course still in use but I believe he was the originator.

Wonder if the latest virus has gotten to your computer? Find out. Run the FREE McAfee online computer scan! http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963