Re: [microsound] re: text and context (and entropy)

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 07:11, Bill Jarboe wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Interesting that you converted several hundred issues...
>
>   I time-stretched the soundfile from Christos' message 100 times.

When you said this it made me start thinking of these messages in the
context of Shannon's information theory, which may be useful for people
processing text and creating sound.

Shannon's theory states that in a stream of data encoded in an ordinary
language, each new character is constrained by the previous character.
This implies the paradox that each new character is 'worth' less than a
character's worth of information.

This in turn leads to considering entropy and the fact that the universe
has a tendency to slip into disorder.

--
http://alex.bash.sh