Re: [microsound] (Hardware) Fieldrecording?

> What preamp are you using? I've been searching for a nice, quite
> portable one that won't break my bank?

I'm afraid that the one I'm using would break the bank ~ but the ones
available from www.microphonemadness.com and the sound professionals I've
been meaning to A/B.

Mine is made by the same guy who makes the mics I use -- Leonard Lombardo
at Sonic Studios -- and is more expensive than his mics!  It was a
difficult pill to byte, but I do use it always now.

But it's worth mentioning that everything on my site was recorded *before*
I started using it, into standard consumer MD pres.  In normal (reasonably
loud) environments they've been fine for my requirements.

It's also worth mentioning that the self-noise of most prosumer mics in
the sub $1K catagory will be significantly higher than the noise of
consumer preamps... a better pre will help with transient response, but
can only reveal the self noise of your mics. That's my situation now!

 best,
  aaron

  ghede@xxxxxxxx
  http://www.quietamerican.org