[microsound] iMarketing

> People who design interfaces aren't marketing staff.  They are most
> likely familiar and possibly take part in research in Human Computer
> Interaction.  They attempt to understand how and why a user interacts
> with software a certain way, using ideas from psychology where possible
> (an obvious example is the 7 +/- 2 rule).
I spent five years working for audio software companies during the dot.com
bubble and I have to say that this is simply not the case...most user
interfaces are designed by a process of arm-wrestling between the marketing
dept (who know exactly what their market wants and needs via divine
guidance) and the engineering dept (who will over-design a simple door-knob
given the chance)...

I have spent countless hours in pointless meetings where marketing and
engineering imagine they are engaged in some sort of fantasy role playing
contest/battle of wits while I read email on my laptop and pretended to be
taking notes for the meeting...

having ANYONE on staff that knows a whit about HCI/UI design is a luxury
most music/audio software companies cannot afford...at least this has been
my experience...