Re: [microsound] mix cd's

Simply put, the DJ is the product.

to my mind a cd is something significantly different, both with respect to
its 'function' as a medium and in its relation to the music industry as a
whole...a cd is a product, a dj performance much less so.

I'd go with something slightly more complicated. The DJ's image is a product which is seemlessly integrated to the "scene" in various ways. Like any rockstar, many DJs create an image in order to sell themselves. You have a constant back and forth. This image is in someways linked to and divorced from the image of whatever music they spin. The DJ must be recognizable as a style, but different enough from everyone who comprises that style in order to be unique.

The old hipster dilemma, you must finesse the balance between being enough like everyone else to get grouped in, but be different enough to not be copying anyone in particular, and still come off as genuine enough to not be a poser or wannabe. Plus you have to change with times and stay current. This is no easy task. Being the first or one of the oldest in a genre gets you automatic props, and for some reason it works even if your technical mixing skills are aweful... I won't name names.

Really, this delicate, but ugly buisness of marketing is something I kind of despise (it all seems so fake) and yet truely I admire those who can strike the perfect balance. They fit in, yet innovate enough to get noticed, but not too much as to scare off their audience, and in many cases they do this all while hiding the fact they are really really dorky at heart.

Really the symbiotic relationship between the DJ and Producer is unique, and may be one of the reasons it seems to hard to split up the financial aspects fairly.

Rob