Re: [microsound] mix cd's

Simply put, the DJ is the product. The public hand over their money for a
name.  Technically the DJ product is a package that is made up of a set of
aesthetic judgements, mixing (suturing) skills, and a collection of
appropriated music. But a DJ does not usually become a world famous big name
through any of these things. The most famous are known for their intimate
relationship with a particularly innovative music scene in a particular
place, at a particular time. The product is then a function of this
scene/genre/subgenre/style.  Eg. Jeff mills signifies Detroit techno,
Frankie Knuckles signifies Chicago House, etc. Its not an easily defined
product but its still a product: something which is bought and sold.