Re: [microsound] mix cd's pt 2

As far as I know, DJ's do not have to have permission to play records in a club. It is the responsibility of the club-owner to secure the appropriate licensing to allow for the playing of copyrighted works in their establishment. Same goes for a restaurant and even for radio stations. The venue takes on whatever liability there might be. Now whether or not the venue actually pays the licensing fees is another issue altogether. My guess is that a venue that typically hosts live original music and hence pays no licensing fees, might not even consider it an issue that a DJ is gonna show up and play other peoples copyrighted music.

They don't have permission at all. Club owners rarely pay fees. It would be nice if they did, but it doesn't seem like the industry works that way. Many club owners barely make ends meet as it is, as with many small buisnesses.

The problem is that occationally a third party goes on a rampagee (like the RIAA) and goes about "enforcing". Now, I don't know if the RIAA is going to go after DJ nights or not, but if they did wouldn't it be cool if the DJ actually had a license to play each record live printed on each cover or label. You could send them packing... Same goes for mix CDs, which it appears they are enforcing...
Rob