Re: [microsound] mix cd's pt 2

On Monday, February 2, 2004, at 06:36 PM, Rob wrote:

DJs (who buy a lot of music) would be unlikely to purchase underground dance records at all if they thought they were going to be prosecuted.

This is why I proposed a DJ license, this way producers could give permission to play the record in public in advance with the purchase of the record itself.

As far as I know, DJ's do not have to have permission to play records in a club. It is the responsibility of the club-owner to secure the appropriate licensing to allow for the playing of copyrighted works in their establishment. Same goes for a restaurant and even for radio stations. The venue takes on whatever liability there might be. Now whether or not the venue actually pays the licensing fees is another issue altogether. My guess is that a venue that typically hosts live original music and hence pays no licensing fees, might not even consider it an issue that a DJ is gonna show up and play other peoples copyrighted music.