Re: [microsound] downhill battle

On Monday 02 February 2004 06:08, sediment@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >>When you give it away, that
> >> means it no longer belongs to you.
> >
> > not sure I really agree with that. Just because you make your work freely
> > available does
> > not mean you lose ownership of the work. If it is distributed on CD then
> > of course the CD is no longer yours but the content surely is.
>
> I don't think you understand.  I'm talking about really giving it away for
> free, not just distributing it for free.  There's a difference.  I agree
> with you, if you are distributing it for free but retain ownership of the
> content then it's not o.k. for other people to sell it.  If you are giving
> away the content then you have no claim to it anymore

[thought I would hop in here...]

Isn't this where the right of attribution and moral rights comes in? I believe
that in the US (even with the DCMC Act) there is a right of attribution of
authorship (if not then some sort of ant-trust law for passing off) so that
even if you give away copyright you can still get credit for the work. This
can have its financial and its artistic rewards without any ownership in the
commercial sense. That seems to me to be one of the strands of the economic
viability argument of the creative commons approach.

Raena