Re: [microsound] downhill battle

i don't think reality is one homogeneous thing.

Well yes. Power in America seems to be getting close though. When I say face facts and get with reality all I mean is that you have to think about these things, as artists. Right now these matters are largely decided by people with different goals than the artists themselves. Really bad contracts are a problem for the scene all together. Having a good idea of your rights and having a volunteer lawyer read your contract with the label (or having sample rights user contracts) ahead of time makes sure that everybody knows what's going on before they agree. Much like a prenuptual agreement, this can be akward. But it makes sure everyone is on the same page, which keeps problems to a minimum, and it makes problems easier to solve when they come up (if you agree on a dispute resolution method or court alternative). Plus you can avoid really terrible situations like Run DMC had where a legal battle kept them from being able to release any music for years. Which sucks (I like Run DMC a lot...). Everyone thinks you only call a lawyer when things go wrong (like doctors), but taking the bull by the horns at the start is a great way to help yourself in the future.

i use one of the licenses from creative commons. and while this gives me
some rights, i don't know how able i am to enforce them [bringing a
criminal suit against the infringers].

There is hope. First about 99% of all contracts are never violated. Many people will respect the deals they make and not rip people off. Especially when they benefit from the rules collectively (like a creative commons).
Second, enforcement does not start or end in court. A polite phone call can do wonders. If being nice doesn't work, get a lawyer and call again. You can also do binding arbitration, which is wonderful. Imagine the peoples court without the BS. You sign something that says we aren't going to court and instead we're going to sit in a room with a moderator and work things out. Then you get a professional referee to make the decision. These are actually legally binding, and you don't have to deal with going to court and blowing thousands of dollars.
Most cases get settled out of court, chances are it will never get that bad. Eben Moglin has quite successfully enforced the GPL dozens of times without going to court just with good old fashion persuasion.
Also, it wouldn't be a criminal matter (no jail time), it's just civil (money and injuctive relief).

and, if someone in a big suit in a big office wants to make an example
of me, i don't have much in the way of resources to fight them;
regardless of how 'right' i may be.

If that happens then chances are you'll be able to spark the interests of a few professors and volunteer lawyers, etc. Many of my professors have tons of fun going against big buisness (and the government) in their spare time. Heck, soon I'll be lawyer and I hope to do stuff like this as much as possible. As far as the money to fund the case goes, it'll come, if they want to threaten an autonomous art community, we can make a pretty big stink.

whose facts? RIAA? i came to my 'lunatic fringe' viewpoint *after*
educating myself about copyright, IP issues, political theories [zinn,
chomsky].

Unfortunately, we can only work with what we've got. The current copyright rules might be in need of an overhaul, but until then we've got play 'em. Fortunately with a little creativity we can bend them to our wishes, like the creative commons license.

thanks for your thoughtful points in this discussion.

Yours too, it's been great. I've been writing about all this stuff for weeks (paper) and it's nice to test some of the points against non-legal types. Sometimes we talk so much amongst ourselves we forget that sometimes nobody else can figure out what we're saying. Plus anyother law students or lawyers on the list want to contribute? Are there any?

Rob